Michaela and I have been friends most of our lives. In fact, she has a birthday card that I sent to her for her first birthday. (yeah, I'm that good... or, my mom is anyway!)
We were the type of friends who could be completely goofy together. I mean, sing-into-a-hairbrush-while-holding-a-glass-of-soapy-water-to-pose-for-a-picture goofy. Yep, I just admitted to that. Oh well.
Anyway, in Kindergarten, Michaela and I began dreaming about the day when we would be in high school and in the cool music group that performed for the whole school at the end of the year, hamming it up. We just knew that when we were big kids, we'd sing "Eternal Flame" by the Bangles for our big number in the group. I guess that's where we got started scheming about this bit.
Fast forward to our senior year. Michaela, who had a huge soft-spot for oldies, decided that this song HAD to be our big performance of the year. Being best friends and all, naturally I jumped on the band wagon with her. Our friend Jera jumped on the wagon, too, and amazingly we talked a guy friend into wearing a leather jacket and riding a bike (although my memory is telling me it was a tricycle) around the stage, completing the effect. Don't worry, we had awesome matching outfits, classic bob wigs, choreographed dance moves - we went all out. That is why, to this day, I cannot hear this song without a big smile and fond memories of the amazing powers of friendship.
No comments:
Post a Comment