Thursday, April 21, 2011

Holy Thursday: Thoughts on John 13

John 13:1-17  -  Jesus Washes His Disciples’ Feet

      It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.
     The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus.  Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.
He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”
     Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”
“No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.”
     Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”
“Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!”
     Jesus answered, “Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.” For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.
     When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them.  “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am.  Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.  I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.  Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.  Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them. 

Bob Goff says, "My view of love is small. If I were going to die tomorrow, I wouldn't go to dinner with someone who would betray me."  This really spoke to me today as I was reading this passage because Bob Goff is right - most of us, if we knew we were going to die tomorrow due to a close friend and confidant's betrayal, would not choose to eat dinner with them tonight.  In verse 1, John says, "Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love."  Funny.  Instead of harboring hurt feelings and justifiably feeling betrayed, Jesus took this opportunity to show his disciples how much he loved them.

His ways are not my ways.

"The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus..." (verse 2)

What was going to happen had already been set into motion. 

Jesus had "the right" to feel betrayed, hurt, and angry.  Interestingly, we aren't told how Jesus felt, we are only told how he acted.  
"Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him."

There's something amazing that happens in the life of a person fully surrendered to the will of God, who knows who they are, what their purpose is, and keeps the end goal in mind.

Jesus knew his position.  He knew who he was created to be, where he came from, and where he was going. He understood the task ahead of him - Jesus had a firm grasp on reality, and he took on the role of a servant to teach his disciples, instead of focusing on his own personal rights.

How many times do I allow my feelings of hurt, betrayal, and anger to justify my negative attitude and behavior toward others?  It doesn't take much, just a drive down the road.  Someone cuts me off in traffic and that "justified anger" shows up.
Jesus set a better example for us and said, "Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet.  I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you."

Philippians 4:4 says,
"Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him!
Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you're on their side, working with them and not against them. Help them see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute!"

As we celebrate God today and remember Jesus' actions on this day, all those years ago, I am remembering his selfless sacrifice that started that night in the upper room, when he chose to show them the full extent of his love - by serving them and by actively loving his betrayer unto the end.  Today I pray for God to create this same love in my heart, so that I can bless Him and bless others the way Jesus has blessed me.



No comments: