[God speaking to Satan]: "And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; He will crush your head, and you will strike His heel." Genesis 3:15
Monday, December 3, 2007
What's this doing here? Nothing about angels, nothing about shepherds, nothing about babies or mangers or even sleigh rides and Santa Claus. What does this verse have to do with Advent or Christmas? Can you imagine a Christmas song based on these words? "I'm dreaming of a ... " What? A big fight?
When we were kids and someone said, "I won't be your friend anymore," we might have responded, "Is that a threat or a promise?" These words in Genesis are both a threat AND
a promise. They are God's promise to threaten our worst enemy. God promises to fight for you!
I remember how that felt when I was in high school. In the school I attended, the hazing of freshmen was common. I saw a lot of my classmates tormented. But then there was Kip, one of my friends from church. Kip was a senior and over six feet tall. I don't know if he even realized it, but no one bothered me when Kip was around.
That's what God promised to Adam and Eve. Her "seed" the descendant that God had promised would stamp out the enemy. Our enemy accuses us. After all, he has proof that we're guilty. But God says, "I'll send a champion to you. He will defend you. You don't need to be afraid." This Advent season might find you with many reasons to worry. You have enemies in illness, in uncertainty, in your own sin, and in Satan. But you have a radical Savior who will fight for you.
Prayer: Lord, I need Your help. Right down to the very root of my life I’m a mess. I need You to change me. Refresh me with the promise of my Savior who crushed my enemy. Amen.
devotion quoted from Advent Devotions 2007
this is a story of a caged bird breaking free...
"a prayer for the wild of heart that are kept in cages" - Tennessee Williams
No comments:
Post a Comment